Three Ships is seeking a Copy Editor with excellent editorial, reading, writing, and organizational skills to be part of our growing team.
You’ll be responsible for delivering publication-ready content that is on-time, fully optimized for SEO and meets our marketing goals. You also enjoy writing; you may help create content, concepts and articles. In tandem, you may help to amplify the impact of those articles through content promotion and link building initiatives. You will have the opportunity to not only manage production of cutting-edge content, but you will also learn to report on the performance of your articles to determine the impact of your work. You maintain a high bar of excellence for each piece of content that gets your stamp of approval. You’ll become an expert in digital and SEO content, staying on the cutting edge of best practices.
As a Copy Editor, you will:
• Ensure we have a strong understanding of what it takes to win organic search on our targeted keywords (keyword research, who are our competitors, what is Google rewarding, what do readers need to know, etc.).
• Oversee content production through translating this knowledge into assignment briefs for freelancers and tightly managing content creation so it is on-time and on-budget.
• Edit and proof articles for editorial excellence, search engine optimization and CRO (Conversion Rate Optimization). Each piece must be optimized, targeted to meet our marketing goals and delivered on time.
• Recruit and manage expert freelance writers who will create high “E-A-T” (Expertness- Authoritativeness-Trustworthiness) content
• Load and publish articles with a strong eye for CRO to maximize on-page conversions.
• Create winning content that can be used to demonstrate our bar for excellence.
• Support the amplification of content through content promotion and link building campaigns.
• Demonstrate a meticulous approach to your work, with a highly organized process and unfailing eye for detail.
• Track, measure and report on production status and team capacity via a weekly forecast. Use these and other performance metrics (traffic, conversions, revenue, etc.) to inform our content strategy moving forward.
• Help build the culture of a growing and fun growth-stage company.
• Obsess over what type of content wins in search engines — read, learn, and follow search engine best practices; be a subject matter expert on what type of content wins; bring that point of view to our meetings
What your background shows:
• Bachelor’s degree (Journalism, Communications, English or related field preferred).
• 2-3 years (3-7 years for Sr. Copy Editor) of digital editing or content production experience, (experience in SEO-focused content preferred, but not required).
• Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills: You maintain a methodical process and high standard of excellence in your work, while balancing multiple projects and meeting tight deadlines.
• Ownership mentality: You treat each content piece like it is your own and stand behind every word. You are comfortable putting your head down and producing excellent work without constant supervision.
• Agility: You are comfortable in a fast-paced and often changing environment.
• An inherent drive to be excellent: You are not satisfied with average. You do whatever it takes to get the job done at a world-class level and don’t check out because it’s 5PM or a weekend. While we’re looking for some specific experiences and skillsets, nothing is more important than a strong can-do attitude, resilience in the face of change and uncertainty, and a passion for learning and creating.
What’s awesome about being a Copy Editor here?
• People – Work with great people who are smart, nice, and ambitious.
• Brands – Edit and write for great brands. We cannot share a list of our media partners publicly due to Non-Disclosure Agreements, but your content will be featured on the most trafficked websites online.
• Stability – Work with a company that is profitable and growing. We have a strong business model with ten years of profitability behind us.
• Incentives – Receive quarterly bonuses based on your business results.
• Transparency – you get to participate in our monthly Business Plan Review where we openly talk about how every area of the business is performing.
Base salary and performance-based bonus commensurate with experience. As a member of the Three Ships platform, you have access to competitive benefits, including health, 401k, a monthly wellness stipend for house cleaning, gym membership, grocery delivery or massages, mobile reimbursement, and an office stocked with snacks, coffee and just about every other beverage you can imagine.
All applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, gender identity, or any other discriminatory factors. Please note that we do not provide immigration sponsorship for this role. All offers are subject to a background check.